Meet Our Innovators
Todd Bandhauer, PhD
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Areas of Collaborative Interest
- Thermal Energy Systems
- Coupled Electrochemical Thermal Phenomena in Energy Storage and Conversion Systems
- Microscale Phase Change Heat Transfer
- High Flux Thermal Management of Electronics and Lasers
- Thermal Activated Cooling Systems
- Waste Heat Recovery
- Nuclear Fuel Processing Systems
- Licensing our technologies
The Research, End market, And Commercialization Hub (REACH) CoLab, established in 2013, is affiliated with the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Colorado State University (CSU) and located at the Powerhouse Energy Campus in Fort Collins, Colorado. The REACH CoLab seeks to advance thermal-energy systems beyond the current state-of-the-art. Dr. Bandhauer’s expertise and interests include thermal energy systems, coupled electrochemical thermal phenomena in energy storage and conversion systems, microscale phase change heat transfer, high flux thermal management of electronics and lasers, thermal activated cooling systems, waste heat recovery, and nuclear fuel processing systems. He has ~6 years of experience in industry (Modine Manufacturing Co.) and at a national laboratory (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory) developing components for energy systems, and his work has resulted in 8 refereed conference and journal papers and 21 issued and pending patents.
- Ultra Efficient Turbo Compression Cooling System: A low cost and highly efficient turbo-compressor system for recovery of waste heat. Applications include power plant cooling, commercial chillers, and general waste heat recovery.
- Systems for the Conversion of Wastes to New Uses: Organic waste is converted to electricity, along with production of fertilizer. Sink wastewater is used for on-site toilet flush water.
- High Efficiency Solid Oxide Fuel Cell: Use of an internal combustion engine hybrid power system
- Turbo-Compression Cooling For Ultra Low Temperature Waste Heat Recovery: A system that converts low grade waste heat into cooling, and uses electricity and a compressor to boost performance.
- Advanced Electronics Cooling: Advanced impingement cooling having surface area enhancement, low pressure drop manifolds, specialized packaging, and facility cooling.
- US10533809B1 Cooling apparatus and methods of use*
- US10128530B2, US9947961B2, WO2017160588A1: Multi-functional electrolyte for thermal management of lithium-ion batteries
- US10294826B2: Ultra efficient turbo-compression cooling
- US9768584B2: High flux diode packaging using passive microscale liquid-vapor phase change*
- US20170250123A1: Method and Apparatus for Cooling Integrated Circuits*
- US20150345480A1: Thermally integrated concentrating solar power system with a fluidized solid particle receiver*
- US9209501B2, WO2014190183A1: Energy storage management system with distributed wireless sensors*
- US9490507B2, WO2014190180A1 Li-ion battery thermal runaway suppression system using microchannel coolers and refrigerant injections*
- US9413017B2, US8691462B2, JP2006318909A, CN1862862B, FR2894719B1, DE102006020405A1: High temperature fuel cell system with integrated heat exchanger network*
- US9267993B2, WO2013177132A1: Battery management system with distributed wireless sensors*
- US20130283846A1: Adsorption cooling system using metal organic frameworks*
- US20130283847A1: Adsorption cooling system using carbon aerogel*
- US9704384B2: Battery management systems with thermally integrated fire suppression*
- DE102008048509A1, JP2009008383A: Cooling system with a heat pump and different operating modes*
- US20080245503A1: Heat exchange system for vehicles and method of operating the same*
- US7858256B2, JP2006318908A, CN1862864B, FR2894390B1, DE102006020097A1: High temperature fuel cell system having integral heat exchange network*
- JP2006318907A: High temperature fuel cell system having integral heat exchange network*
- JP2008541382A, CN101238608B, WO2006121992A2: High temperature fuel cell system with integrated heat exchanger network*
- US7964176B2, TW200708473A, MY148885A, JP2008538097A, KR20080009700A, WO2006104787A2 : Process and apparatus for thermally integrated hydrogen generation system*
- WO2005101562A1: Fuel humidifier and pre-heater for use in a fuel cell system*
*Assignee other than Colorado State University